The ICAM programme has developed a child and family support programme to:
- Increase the awareness of Children Affected by Migration (CAM) and everyone in their lives, so that all understand and benefit from the rights of CAM under the European Child Guarantee and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Improve inclusion and safe learning in school by improving 12 areas of school organisation which combine to create the climate of convivencia.
- Develop child led initiatives promoting children’s ownership and responsibility for including all students fully in the life of the school.
- Develop the whole school formal and informal curriculum for Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) with additional support that meets the special SEL needs of CAM.
- Apply the lessons learned about the long term effects of displacement and bereavement on CAM during World War 2.
- Through training and support increase the capabilities of all school staff and all families to ensure the inclusion of CAM in mainstream schools. This includes parent/carer workshops d to encourage the development of SEL for the whole family in the home.
- Apply an on-line ICAM school review instrument on SEL and the school’s organisation for convivencia and inclusion involving all stakeholders.
- Reinforce cooperation between schools, families, NGOs and other agencies/organisations that are involved in supporting CAM.